Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Penguin Perpective


Ah yes my fellow maize and blue faithful. It is time that we turn against one another once again. The Burgh vs The D. Steel vs. Cars. Donnie Iris vs. Eminem. The Mustache vs. The Gun Shot Wound. I could go on but I will stop.

About this time last year I was just returning from Europe and I had two fun surprises awaiting me when I returned. The first was the Pens/Wings and the second was my job search. Luckily for me a year later I only have to focus on the one. (Although this series may cost me my job if their are some OT games.)

What took place last year was pretty clear. The veteran Wings slowed the Pens in the first two games. The Wings had the puck I think for the entire time for those two first games. (Game 1 here) Then the Pens realized the whole cycling the puck thing doesn't work if you don't have the puck. (Game 3 here) The Wings took control in Game 4. (here) The Wings were about to win it but Maxime "Call Me Max" Talbot stunned the crowd. (here) Fleury stands on his head and then Geno to Sykora to tear your hearts out. (here) Then you guys finish it off in the Burgh and raise that beautiful cup one more time. (here) (If you want a quick laugh check out the other videos this guys posts. Apparently someone likes the Ocarina of Time.)



That stung but the better team won. Like most everything else in life (Outside of losses to OSU, sorry I brought it up) it took me one beer to get over. I then of course had a few more and possibly one or two more after that. What are you going to do?

But here we are now. One year later. Hossa (and Conklin) jumped ship to you guys. Looked like a damn good choice 6 months into the season. No one is that upset because of the whole Super Bowl thing. The Pens were in shambles but then obviously made some solid trades and made the great move of firing the slave driver Therrien. The Pens start winning and Crosby and Malkin do their thing. But for the most part you know all this.

But what you don't know is about the robots. Not gonna go there but if you want to get to know the Pens better check out the Pens Blog. Shit ton of funny commentary and shows you how great the Pens fan base is.

So this has mostly been rambling but this shouldn't be a surprise to any of you because you know me. Onto this series...

Everybody and their mom is going to make the comparison to the last time their was a rematch in the Cup finals. The Edmonton vs Islanders comparison is fine but come on it has been a while. I think the most obvious thing is the Wings are the better team on paper. I mean you took our best winger. You guys have gotten here without Zetterberg or Datsyuk playing out of their minds or even playing at all. Osgood is as good a goalie as you could want. You have solid veteran talent who thinks the a Cup game is like any other game. Basically, I am telling you what you already know; you guys are a machine. I won't be shocked if you guys win it again. But...

I am here to be a yinzer. I think the Pens will do this. Crosby will show up because he always shows up. Our defense has been great. Malkin can't disappear. He is an obvious key to the series. The other key is MAF. (Fluery) He must steal at least one if not two from yinz guys in the D. The fact that the series starts Saturday and that we play again Sunday benefits us because of the obvious injury issue. Luckily for us NBC is retarded and is making the NHL do that. The Pens need to steal one of those and do their best to ensure a game 6. Game 6 is essential for the team without home ice because (like last year) if you can close us out on our home ice god bless. We win game 6, well then of course by simple counting, there will be a game 7. Not sure if the Pens can pull that off but if we get a game where we can win it to win the cup, I will have no complaints in this series. I will throw it out there to have some fun...Pens in 7. If we don't win I expect calls and you should expect this voice mail.



I heart all of you. No matter what happens, it is back to the Rich Rod show in two weeks. Go Pens!

Mike Roarty

4 comments:

  1. MR, you rambled on for an eternity and said ABSOLUTELY nothing! You smell. Pittsburgh smells. Go Wings!

    Ryan, Wei - what's up guys? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I woke up in a pile of hair the other day...reminded me of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know when you are basing your entire argument off the fact that you are a yinzer you do not have a lot to work with. Had this been a debate over the OSHA standards of a gay steel mill, perhaps. But not here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that rambling Mike, my preview is coming tomorrow morning. By the way, are you guys all going to be in Chicago next weekend? I'm thinking about making my way down and may need a place to crash...

    ReplyDelete