Sunday, May 17, 2009

Motown and the Chi City

Since Ryan was busy watching Kobe and Sasha Vujacic interact in Italian last night, he didn't have time to compile the preview, so once again I gotta clean up after him...


I'm feeling pretty good about this Wings/Hawks series, I think the Ducks were the best remaining team and we were pretty fortunate to get by them. Chicago's only chance to pull something off is the man to the left, Nikolai Khabibulin, who you probably remember from his days as the successor to Tim Cheveldae in Winnipeg. As Wings fans, or any NHL fan knows, any mismatch on paper can be neutralized with a hot goalie in the playoffs (see Kiprusoff, Giguere, Kolzig, Roloson, etc.) He took Tampa Bay (do they still have an NHL franchise?) to a Cup win a few years back and if he plays on his head, he can steal a game or two.

The Hawks haven't really been relevant since the Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, and Ed Belfour days, but we all know they have the young guns after years of no. 1 picks. Kind of like that hoops squad they also got playing in the United Center. It's a lot like our matchup of the Pens last year, when the opponent had two top players (Sid, Malkin / Kane, Toews) and another complimentary player (Hossa / Havlat) who could be a threat. I feel fine shutting these guys down but the Hawks have some fast dudes in the back like Kronwall who can wet people.

I'm predicting Wings in 5.

And we have Darren Helm, so it will all be okay ---->

Who will the Wings play in the Finals? Looking like a rematch to me, the Pens will dispatch the Canes in a sweep (this one's for you Roarty). This series is a bit of a yawner, the only headline ESPN can come up with is the matchup of the Staal brothers. But honestly, on any single night in the NHL, you can pretty much bet on half the games featuring a matchup between players in the Staal family.
Pete, please tell me you are not a Hawks fan...
It is embarrassing enough to rep Vinny D.N. and the Bulls
I am so excited about Doc Emrick (Gus Johnson with a poetic side) and the NHL on NBC (be sure to check out the NBA on NBC theme in the related videos, too.)

3 comments:

  1. Can you put up a picture that will actually come through?

    I'm ridiculously confident in winning the Stanley Cup now. Wings sweep, mark it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wings are going take it to the Hawks like they did to the Pens last year. There are a shit ton of annoying Hawks fans here in the Chi that clearly don't know hockey. I doubt the Pens sweep. Ward is a good goalie. Fluery falling was very much an omen for that series. There will be a rematch and I think it will be a good series. The Wings would clearly be the favorite but gaining experience last year will certainly help, even if you did steal hossa. (Bastard. I am actually more pissed about Conklin leaving. Im kidding, possibly.) Maybe we can force a game seven, never know what would happen there.

    On a side note, I missed the movie thread and I am pissed no one brought up Bull Durham. Its the perfect baseball movie. Check out this scene

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lptsSTTWLVQ

    And this one

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZhDdcE2Iw

    Just to let you know what I believe in

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfdl6hNZ9k

    Go Pens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wei - Your comparison of bulls - hawks inaccuarate. As I am sure you remember I hated and still do hate the Vinny D hire. We shouldn't have fired Scott Skiles. I am a Wings fan b/c I didn't like hockey until I moved to mich and one of my best friends was a Wings fan (moved to Mich when I was 5 years old, as some of you already know).

    Roarty - I hope your time at Durkins was another memorable one. Sorry I could not be in attendance. Btw, first thing I did when I got off the plane for the bachelor party this last weekend was attend a Steelers Bar. It was the most impressive dedication bar I have ever seen. PITTSBURGH SHIT EVERYWHERE

    ReplyDelete