Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chill Factor


So I was sitting at work today, daydreaming harder than Wei in Chem 100, and started thinking about great sports moments. The best sports memories are ingrained in the membrane; you remember where you were, who you were with, what beverage was in hand, and most importantly, those chills. The goosebumps that run up your arms as you see the play unfold for the first time or the 99th time. It's what I like to call the chill factor. Breathtaking plays, tremendous games, and memorable seasons all rank as a 10 on the chill factor. With that said, while killing the last 2o min of work, I came up with (though struggled) to come up with my top 3 sports fan moments of my life.

3. Steve Yzerman-Game 7-Western Conference Semis

Double OT, Stevie snakes the puck away from the Great One, carries the puck over the blue line and fires a laser over John Casey's shoulder, off the post and into the net.

2. Mario Manningham's catch vs. Penn State

We all know what happened. What made this one for me was being there. Seeing the play unfold, Manningham cutting the post route and the henne cannon between the numbers. The celebration that ensued. Tossup with the MSU game as the greatest Michigan game I have ever seen.

1. Magglio's walk-off

A magical season with a storybook homerun to top it off. We were bad, just terrible, for my entire life. Every spring I talked myself into guys like Paul Bako, Shane Halter, Deivi Cruz, Dean Palmer, and Todd Jones (wait a second...), only to lose another 100 games. I don't care that we didn't win the world series in 2006, because it felt like we did. I was at my apartment, standing up the entire game, trying to catch the end of the Tigers before the big Michigan Penn State game. Most definitely a case of keystone deep when, on a 1-0 count....

There's a drive, deep to left, the Tigers, march, to the world series.....

Let me know your top 3.

-Ryan

2 comments:

  1. 3. MSU vs. UM 2004: The Braylon Game. Probably the most emotional game I have ever witnessed. Will never forget the mad rush to the exits after Deandra Cobb broke a 70 yarder down the sideline, but then the Big Houe being the loudest I have ever heard it.

    2. UM vs App St 2007: The most shocked I have ever been. Was able to be on the field for this one, I remember just being in absolute disbelief when App St. blocked that final FG when the moment hit me. This was history, something I'll always remember. All this after the Hail Mary to Manningham got us all excited.

    1. 2006 World Series Tigers vs A's. Maggs' sweet swing. Polanco jumping up and down. Dombrowski going wild. Huston Street walking off the mound. Best moment Ever.

    (Honorable mentions: 2006 UM vs. OSU Game of the Century, UM vs. Duke hoops 2008, Kenny Rogers CG vs. the Yanks, Elden Campbell breakaway dunk vs. the Lakers, Pistons/Pacers brawl)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top 3 moments:

    3. Tigers in 2006, first round game 2 vs. New York. Behind the whole game, come back to take the lead in the 7th, then holding on in the 9th with the tying run on and nobody out against Todd Jones. This high because before that I wouldn't have been surprised if we got swept, especially how we finished the season. That turned things around. Also led to the victory lap after Game 4, awesome celebration.

    2. Henne to Manningham vs. Penn State. My favorite part of this is Frank Beckman's call on the radio, but I can never find it online. Brad Nessler's call on TV was almost as good.

    1. Michigan vs. Washington, 2002 (I think) Phil Brabbs nails the 44-yarder as time runs out to win the game, after shanking two kicks earlier in the day. My favorite celebration after because it was so unexpected. Also a great call by Frank Beckman, maybe his best.

    ReplyDelete